Sunday, August 17, 2014

Fresh Starts

I quit teaching school 11 years ago. But school starts locally tomorrow, and I've been having "teacher nightmares" this week, dreams in which my students rebel and I'm unable to get them to behave and in which I'm supposed to give an exam I didn't yet create. I always loved the beginning of the school year, though, because despite the nightmares, I always loved the fresh start. I don't generally get fresh starts in the practice of law, even when I get a new case, because the client has generally already made decisions that have affected the case's outcome.

But I pray that tomorrow does bring about a fresh start of sorts. I can count on my hands the number of tasks I have to do at work this week. Four of them are tasks that I expect to bring cases to a close in the next 30 days. I have several other cases that should resolve in the next month if my clients do what they are supposed to do. In short, my work load is diminishing. And my husband doesn't want me to do any marketing of my law practice from this point forward, given that we will be moving, God willing before the end of the year.

Instead, he wants me to focus on tasks at home and on starting another business, one I would enjoy and could work in my spare time while our child is still young. To be frank, I have almost no faith in my abilities in this particular regard, but apparently he does. I want a Silhouette Portrait, so our deal is that if I work on creating for 30 days, I can buy one with my next paycheck, provided I use it to create, too.

So since my work load decreases greatly tomorrow, I intend to reduce my work hours and to spend more time working in my home and with my child--and more time creating. I guess you could say creating is my "new school year's resolution."

Hold me accountable, family and friends! Feel free to ask me daily what I am creating--and how many days I have left before I can buy a Silhouette!

Until next time,

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.