Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Home Tour: Spare Bedroom

We have one spare bedroom. We use it as a catch-all room. Eventually, I want to use spare bedrooms for their intended purpose, but for now, we use what we have. :)

For the two of you who think I am super organized, this room is going to refute that belief.

Most of our time in the spare bedroom is spent at the computer.

the books and magazines are for my law office. :) So is the DYMO LabelWriter 450 Turbo, which I use to print postage at home right now, but which will be transferred to my office in the near future. So really, the big project here is to fix the corner of the desk and then to sand and paint the desk and install hardware on the doors. I also want to "clean" the computer by organizing my bookmarks and deleting any unnecessary files and programs. I could probably stand to clean out the cabinets, too, now that I think about it.

Then we have my filing cabinet:

The typewriter is yet another item that will be going to my office. The desk tray will stay in its rightful place atop the filing cabinet. :) I do want to cover the filing cabinet with either wrapping or contact paper.

Beside the desk sits this mess:

If you look closely, you will see albums on the floor; there are cassettes on top of the stereo. I want to convert the songs on the records and the cassettes to mp3 files. The equipment I need to do so is right there atop the Rubbermaid container. Also, the Rubbermaid container on which everything sits is holding a bunch of old pictures that I want to scan and digitally scrapbook. The scanner is sitting here as well. I must get around to these tasks!

My craft table is a mess.

Yeah, I really want to get control of this space again. And I want to paint the craft table with black chalkboard paint.

I have a stack of items in the corner.

The television and a few other items are going to go to my parents' house in Florida until we move back to the Sunshine State. The crate and paperwork beside and under it are all work-related. I want to organize all of these items so that they can be moved into a filing cabinet in my office.

And finally, the closet, organized (no, really!) chaos:

I really do know where everything is in this closet. I do want to finish using our store-bought cleaning supplies and then to organize the homemade ones a bit better. I also want to throw away the boxes for the TV, laptop, desktop, printer, and scanner when we move back to Florida (we intend to pack the individual items in these boxes). I would love a tool shed, but clearly that dream is far in the future. I want to get rid of the unnecessary plastic storage boxes and to organize the candle-making supplies, too.

Okay, so here is the current exhaustive list.

  • Before we move to the next apartment:
    • Take TV and other items to Florida. (Cost: free--not counting the gasoline and such that is already budgeted!)
    • Organize craft table. (Cost: free.)
    • Paint craft table with black chalkboard paint. (Cost: free.)
    • Scan pictures. (Cost: free.)
    • Fix the desk corner. (Cost: $15.)
    • Sand and paint the desk. (Cost: $15.)
    • Attach hardware to the desk doors. (Cost: $15.)
    • Clean out desk cabinets. (Cost: free.)
  • During our stay in the next apartment:
    • Get rid of unnecessary storage boxes.
    • Organize cleaning supplies.
    • Organize candle-making supplies.
    • Cover the filing cabinet with wrapping or contact paper.
    • Organize law office files.
  • When we return to Florida:
    • Throw away boxes for electronics.
  • When we have some spare money:
  • When we buy a house:
    • Build a tool shed.
    • Have a spare bedroom that is used as a spare bedroom. :)
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.