Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Home Tour: Bathroom

I have been ill and have been taking a break from the home tour. But I really want to finish this task--today!

We have only one bathroom in our current apartment. But eventually, we want to have two bathrooms: one decorated in black and white and the other decorated in brown and white. Our current bathroom is black and white and looks like this:

I really loved the shower curtain for the first year that I had it. Now, I think it's too busy. I will likely make my own sometime in the future. In the meantime, I want to soak this one in some homemade Oxy. Along the same lines, I really want new towels. As you can see, the ones we have our navy blue (they matched our old bathroom theme). I refuse to get rid of them until they are unusable--unless I can reuse them elsewhere, that is.

The tub looks like this:

As I said previously, I am working on using my store-bought toiletries and replacing them with homemade ones. Along those lines, I intend to make some more bath salts soon. And I want to discard my old sponges. And yes, I want new washcloths, too. I also would like to find a better container to store my homemade bubble bath in. Any ideas?

The floor:

I love my fluffy rug, but bleach drops from my Clorox toilet wand have ruined it; too, it isn't absorbent enough. I also want a new garbage can; I've had this stainless steel one for years, and it's a bit beat up. I still want one that has a lid to it, though! I would like to replace my plunger with a cuter one (and yes, I know how shallow that statement sounds). And the ultimate goal is never to have an ugly sink again. You can't tell from the picture, but the wood on the front of the cabinet is a different color from the particle board on the side of the cabinet. I also would like a larger cabinet--and two vanities would actually be great!

And finally, the sink area looks like this:

Our medicine cabinet is about two inches deep, so storing anything in it is difficult. I'm not sure I would ever choose to have a medicine cabinet, but regardless, I want to find a better way to store toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, contact lenses, etc. I painted the pump and Mason jar lid and screw band white, and I'm not happy with that choice; I want to buy a new pump and paint the lid black. I am looking for a nice decanter to put the mouthwash in. I am trying to devise a cute way to store razors in hydrogen peroxide. And yes, I know I should put a good cleaning on that mirror!

Okay, so one more area: under the sink!

I hate storing anything under the sink. I just cannot shake the thought that whatever is stored there is dirty! For now, I mainly use this area to store cleaners, shopping bags (I use the few that I get for my bathroom garbage can--and I created my own storage container using a coffee can my mother-in-law was kind to send to me) and personal effects. See the antique Listerine bottle in the corner? I have to clean it better before I will use it again.

The exhaustive project list for the bathroom:

  • Before we move to the next apartment:
    • Discard old sponges. (Cost: free.)
    • Make more bath salts. (Cost: free.)
    • Buy a new pump, and paint Mason jar lid black. (Cost: $1.)
    • Find a way to store razors in hydrogen peroxide. (Cost: no idea.)
  • During our stay in the next apartment:
    • Soak shower curtain in homemade Oxy.
    • Clean antique Listerine bottle using denture tablets, and use it as a vase for flowers.
    • Determine another way to store personal effects.
    • Buy a new garbage can.
    • Replace rug.
    • Replace plunger.
    • Find another container to store homemade bubble bath.
    • Find decanter to store mouthwash.
    • Figure out an entirely new way to store cleaners.
    • Buy an antique silver gravy boat and spoon to use for bath salts.
  • When we return to Florida:
    • Finish using store-bought toiletries, and replace them with homemade ones.
    • Figure out a better way to store towels.
  • When we have some spare money:
    • Replace navy blue towels and washcloths.
    • Buy an old bird bath to use as a side table for bath salts, etc.
  • When we buy a house:
    • Have the toilet area entirely separate from the rest of the bathroom.
    • Have cute sinks and fixtures--and preferably double vanities!
    • Have a cute mirror, whether we have to stencil or frame it.
    • Have at least one claw-foot tub!
    • Install French doors leading into the master bath from the master bedroom. Frost the glass. :)
    • Move my make-up board from the bedroom and into the bathroom.
    • Find better ways to store toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.