Tuesday, May 1, 2012

21-Day Challenges: Challenge 1

My friend Kay posted "diva challenges" on her Facebook page a couple of months ago. Each challenge was an instruction to DO something to reach out to others. To give you examples of the challenges, one day, she and her nephew took some goodies to the local fire department; on another day, she gave flowers to some widows in the church she attends.

The idea is a fabulous one. Similarly, I am going to start doing some 21-day challenges. I chose 21 days because I've heard all of my life that if you do something for 21 days, that task becomes a habit.

I get irritated very easily with what I perceive are the injustices in society. These include huge issues like domestic violence and small, relatively unimportant issues like the ruining of what was overall a wonderful country music genre with pop music. :) I get irritated with my husband when I have to tell him something twice because he wasn't listening to me the first time I made the statement. I also get irritated with people who drive poorly, whether they are trying intentionally to get ahead of everyone or because someone did not teach them proper driving skills such as using turn signals. These are just a few examples. Clearly, I get irritated a lot.

I got a dose of my own medicine yesterday, and I did not like it--at all! My husband became irritated with me yesterday because I used his coffee grinder to grind mustard seed into dry mustard. And no, I didn't clean it out because the temperatures are in the 80's here and who knew he would want coffee in this heat?! Yet he did want coffee!

So the first 21-day challenge is this, a simple quotation I found via Facebook today:

"Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again." ~ Og Mandino

My goal for the next 21 days is to keep this quotation in mind and to treat others--family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, strangers even--accordingly.

Join with me if you'd like!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.