Monday, February 13, 2012

Simplify Sign

Pin It

I love signs. Just check out my Pinterest boards and you'll see just how much! At any rate, I have wanted to make a "Simplify" sign for a while. I am very much a fan of Henry David Thoreau, and his advice to "Simplify, simplify, simplify!" resonates with me.

I was at Michaels a few months ago and saw a very cheap unfinished piece of wood that I thought would be perfect for such a sign. I bought it--with a coupon, of course! This past week, I finally painted the sign face white with a couple of coats of My Studio acrylic craft paint. I then cut the letters for the word simplify from white contact paper using my Slice machine and aligned the letters atop the (dried) white paint. (This step took me a few tries. I started with four-inch letters and eventually had to re-cut the letters a bit smaller.) Finally, I stained the entire sign (including the white paint and the contact paper).

I initially intended to remove the contact paper, but I loved the effect of painting over the contact paper so much that I decided to leave well enough alone:

I love this sign. The hubs says it's cool. And since my living room is brown and white, it matches perfectly!

So this is my craft for the week. You like?

(Have you ever noticed that I use a lot of parentheses? I am just trying to convey information that you might like to have. I actually majored in English, so I should know better. If using so many parentheses drives you crazy, let me know. I'll try to stop!)

Erin

3 comments:

  1. I like. Of course, I have a Simplify sign myself, so that might have something to do with it (but I didn't make it myself). I'm also an incorrigible user of parenthetical remarks (and I had to check to see that I spelled incorrigible correctly -- yikes). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that the longer I wait to take a refresher course in grammar, the more I have to think about what I write and correct what I have written. And that goes for grammar *and* spelling. I had to stop and think about the word hardware the other day. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm blaming my lack of grammar and spelling ability on children. It's like your brain turns to mush when you are pregnant and you never quite get a fully functioning brain back. It's been a shockingly long time since I've thought about most grammar and I have forgotten a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.