Monday, February 20, 2012

Living Room End Table

Pin It

When my husband and I married, we bought inexpensive cheap round tables from Target and Walmart to place beside our couch. Our project list has long included creating or buying better side tables. That task is finally off our list, but the story behind the task completion is a long and storied one!

Last year, when I was planning on opening a fancy family law practice, my husband and I crunched the numbers and figured out that we would be better off if we were to create or build my office furniture so as not to break the bank. During a trip to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, we purchased an old white wooden cabinet door for around $3. We brought it home, sanded it, and attached four table legs we purchased for about $20 at Lowe's. Thus we had an end table for less than $25. My husband stained the entire thing dark walnut. And then stained it again. And again. And again. And finally put a few coats of polyurethane on it. Unfortunately, I just was not happy with the look of the stain because the tabletop (cabinet) was more rustic looking and shabby than the table legs. At some point along the way, I decided to downsize my practice plan, so I decided we could use the table in our home. But I disappointed him greatly when I told him I was going to paint it white. I'm sure he was frustrated after all the work he put into it.

But I could not bear to paint it after all of his good work. Last week, I pulled it out and placed it in the corner beside the couch, in the stead of one of those round tables we bought three years ago. Here's what it looks like:

I *love* it now. I'm not sure what changed my perspective on this piece, but I think I love this $25 table more than I would have liked anything I might have purchased in a furniture store.

So we have officially taken another task off our project list.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.