Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Taco Sauce

Pin It

As I mentioned previously, my husband and I love tacos and recently began making homemade taco seasoning. About a month ago, I found this recipe for homemade taco sauce on the Creatively Domestic blog. I used the recipe to make four eight-ounce jars of taco sauce.

Before I found this recipe, I bought Old El Paso taco sauce, but I will never again buy any from a store. This stuff is better and cheaper, and I know what's in it.

To make tacos, I boil one boneless, skinless chicken breast or brown one-half to three-quarters pound of beef; then I add lots of chopped onions and green peppers to the beef or chicken. Finally, I add a tablespoon or so of our taco seasoning and about half a cup of water. I microwave the taco shells, stuff them with the meat mixture, and eat them with this taco sauce on the side.

I'm nearly ready to take on making my own taco shells. Anyone have any good recipes for those?

Erin

2 comments:

  1. I'm working up to homemade taco shells too! I bought the corn masa mix at Aldi the other week and haven't yet gotten up the nerve to go for it! I think a tortilla press would be helpful, but I don't own one (yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been researching, but making taco shells from scratch still looks a little daunting to me. I think I am going to start with frying corn tortillas and then proceed from there. Baby steps!

      Delete

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.