Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Handling Household Tasks: Reviewing Circulars

I try to spend just one day a week doing my weekly household tasks: reviewing sales ads and circulars, clipping coupons, organizing my coupon binder, planning a dinner menu, updating the food inventory, creating a shopping list, shopping, paying bills, and organizing the finances. For the next week, I am going to detail exactly how I handle these tasks. If you are trying to get organized, perhaps you will be inspired. If you are already organized (perhaps even if you're not), perhaps you get give me some ideas to streamline my system!

The first thing I do each week is review sales ads or circulars (or whatever you want to call them). I review just about every circular you can think of. In fact, I have a list of the ones I review each week (I don't want to miss any because missing a week means the possibility of missing a deal)!

  • A.C. Moore
  • Michaels
  • Dollar Tree
  • Big Lots
  • Dollar General
  • Family Dollar
  • CVS
  • Rite Aid
  • Walgreens
  • Ollie's
  • K-Mart
  • Target
  • Walmart
  • Office Depot
  • OfficeMax
  • Navy Exchange
  • Commissary
  • Bloom
  • Bottom Dollar
  • Farm Fresh
  • Food Lion
  • Harris Teeter
  • Kroger
  • The Home Depot
  • Lowe's

Long list, right? I spend about 45 minutes going through these circulars. The task would take less than half an hour if I reviewed the ads in print rather than online, but since I get only the local Navy newspaper, I get very few print ads. Instead, I have to go to each store's web site and look for the link to its ad. Now that I know exactly where I am going on the web sites, I have shortened the time required. If you are new to searching for ads online, doing so may take you a while longer.

At any rate, if I see something in the online ads that is a good deal or that I would like to purchase, I add the item to my tentative shopping list (I will discuss this process more in depth later, but for now, just know that I put the items on a scrap piece of paper or type them in Notepad on my computer). If I see something I intend to purchase in a print ad, I circle the item in black permanent marker and place it in my coupon binder (which I will also discuss later!).

After I review all of these circulars, I am ready to clip and organize coupons. This task is a bit harder. Okay, it's quite a bit harder. I'll talk about that task process tomorrow.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.