Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Handling Household Tasks: Making a Shopping List

I have a chalkboard that my husband and I use for adding items to our shopping list.

Once a week, I use my meal plan and this shopping list to determine what I need to buy at the store. I type all of the items into my shopping list form:

Shopping List

I try to put the items in order based on the layout of the commissary I frequent. I make a special note of any items on sale, the store where the sale is being held, and the price of the item. In fact, I note any items that should be purchased other than at the commissary: Examples are chicken broth (which I buy at Dollar Tree), tortilla chips (which I also buy at Dollar Tree), and sugar and all-purpose flour (which I buy generic at Walmart). I even have a section of my shopping list for expiring coupons. If I have a coupon for something I use, I try to use it.

If an item is not on the list, we don't buy it that week unless the item is on sale *and* the sale will end before our next shopping trip. And I generally update my finances and my budget before I go shopping so that I know exactly how much I have to spend. If I have $40 left in my budget, I spend no more than $40.

Your shopping list certainly does not have to be printed, nor does it need to be on paper; you may have a shopping list as an app on your phone. But making a list and sticking to it could help you save food and money.

Do you make shopping lists, or do you go to the store and buy what tickles your fancy? (I know people who do that!)

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.