Friday, October 7, 2011

Green Cleaning: Fabric Refresher

Are you constantly in awe of the cost of Febreze?  So am I!  It is a great product, but I am not paying upwards of $3 for it.  For a long time, I purchased the generic form of Febreze from Dollar Tree.  But earlier this year, I decided to rid my home of as many chemicals as possible. So when I ran out of my last bottle of the generic stuff, I decided to make my own. 

I took a (relatively cute!) spray bottle I purchased at Big Lots and put mostly distilled water, a few drops of essential oil, and a teeny bit of alcohol inside it.  I put the sprayer cap back on the bottle and then shook up the mixture.  And there you have it!  Fabric refresher.



I also use this concoction for air freshener, although my primary method of keeping our home smelling good is homemade candles.

You could also use witch hazel or even vodka in place of the alcohol.  Some people suggest adding some fabric softener as well.  I would have tried using fabric softener, but right now, we are using our last box of dryer sheets. After the box is empty, I will have fabric softener to use myself--but I intend to make homemade fabric softener, too, to avoid those chemicals as well!

Oh, and the best part about this fabric refresher?  You can include any essential oil you like, so you control the fragrance.  Thanksgiving?  Use spiced pumpkin!  Christmas?  Use sugar cookies!  Spring?  Use lavender!  You get the picture, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.