Saturday, October 8, 2011

Crafting Tips: Cleaning Seashells

My in-laws and husband and I went to the Outer Banks with my in-laws a few weeks ago.  While we were there, my husband and I picked up some dead seashells from the beach.



I took them home and then decided to clean them up despite that they were not live seashells.  I started by boiling them on the stove and then soaked them in a 50-50 solution of bleach and water for an hour.  Afterwards, I dried them.  The result:  cleaner seashells.  




I intend to use these to make a wreath and a picture frame from these next summer, but I will have to go back to the Outer Banks to get some more.  I am terribly disappointed, as I am sure you can imagine.  =)

(Take note that this procedure is not the one for cleaning live seashells.  You will have to look online for that process.)