Saturday, October 1, 2011

Canning: Pizza Sauce

I am a newcomer to canning.  Oh, sure, my grandmother and mother canned food when I was a child, but I never really got into that sort of thing as a teenager or young adult. 

Now that I am an older adult, I am fascinated with the idea of not buying things pre-made.  So I am thrilled at the prospect of canning.  When I saw this post about canning pizza sauce, I thought this would be the perfect beginning step for me.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap stock pot (just over $6; I checked the thrift store, but for some reason, the ones there were more expensive!). 



I also bought the Ball Home Canning Discovery Kit (around $11) and the Ball Utensil Set for Preserving (around $7).  (Note:  The instructions were the most helpful part of the discovery kit.  I did not care for the canning rack, and I could have bought the three jars cheaper separately.  I do like the utensil set, mainly because of the jar lifter.) 



Then I came home and almost immediately started canning.  I used the pizza sauce recipe from the blog I noted earlier.  The next day, the jars had indeed sealed, and I had pizza sauce to put in my cabinets: 


Source:  Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

Ingredients
1 14-1/2 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1/8 c. of water
1 tsp. of salt
1-1/2 tsp. of sugar
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. of onion powder
1 tsp. of dried basil
1 tsp. of dried oregano

Directions
Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan or skillet.  Saute on medium heat until the sauce begins to bubble. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

While the recipe is simmering, wash and then boil your jars and lids.  When the sauce is ready, funnel it into your jars leaving about 1/2" to 1" headspace.  Run a rubber spatula around the jar to release any air bubbles.  Wipe any food from the jar rims.  Then center the lids on the jar and screw on the bands until they are tight--don't tighten the bands so they are impossible to unscrew later!  Completely cover the jars in boiling water in a stock pot, and boil them for 20 minutes.  Turn off the heat and let the jars continue to sit in the water for five minutes.  Carefully remove the jars from the water, and let them sit for 12-24 hours.  You can then check to ensure the jar is sealed by seeing if the lid pops up.  If the lid pops up and down, your jar did not seal; if it is rigid, your jar did seal.  (Note:  I have heard a distinct popping sound during cooling for every jar I have canned so far.  But my mother said you should check the lid anyway.)  If your jar did not seal, you can always use put the pizza sauce in the refrigerator and use it  for dinner.  You can also attempt re-sealing, something I know nothing about at this point, thankfully!  (No worries if you have a jar that does not seal because my mother assures me that I will encounter this obstacle at some point.) 

Formats
  • PDF:  Canning - Pizza Sauce
  • OpenOffice (just in case you want to edit the format to fit a recipe book you have created)

No comments:

Post a Comment

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.