Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days to Organization: Day 2 - Medicine Cabinet

Our medicine cabinet has been seriously disorganized for at least a month or two: 


And there is no reason it should be. So I spent day 2 of the 31 Days to Organization organizing the medicine cabinet items. 

Once upon a time, I stored my family's medications, vitamins, supplements, and first aid items in willow baskets in my closet.  But earlier this year, I found document boxes and a CD/DVD storage box at Office Depot for $5.99 each.  They were attractive, and they held our medicine cabinet items well in the cabinet over our sink.  I highly recommend these or another type of storage box or storage container to hold your medicine cabinet items.  Finding such a great storage item is the first step to getting your medicine cabinet under control. 

After you have found the perfect boxes or containers to store your medicine cabinet items, the second step is to review the items in your medicine cabinet.  Go through all of them once a year and check the expiration dates.  (We had a ton of prescriptions and over-the-counter medications WAY past their expiration dates.)  If you discard medication, crush any pills and then put the medication in a sealable plastic bag and then mix the medication with cat litter or coffee grounds or another substance before sealing the bag completely and putting it into the trash.  DO NOT flush medications.  Doing so harms our environment and our drinking water.  Before you discard any prescription bottles or other containers, ensure that you peel off the identifying information with your name and other information on it, and then shred the label.  I am currently trying to get in touch with a world health organization that accepts empty prescription bottles.  If I receive a response, I will update this post with the address so that you can donate yours. 

The third and final step is to sort the remaining items and to label the containers if necessary.  I created mine using a font I liked in my word processing program on my computer, printing and then cutting and inserting the "label" into the appropriate place on the storage boxes.  You may wish to use Avery labels or another kind of labels entirely.  My labels: 


You may wish to get more specific and divide your cold and flu items from your digestive aids and such. 

And there you have it.  Your medicine cabinet items are organized! 


Imagine how much easier you will find the Excedrin in the middle of the night now when you need it.  =) 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I keep the Excedrin Migraine on the night table (which in true redneck fashion is an ironing board).

    In my purse I have one bottle that has four different meds in it (Excedrin Migraine, Adivil, Immodium, and Tagamet. Fortunately they are all different colors (white, brown, green, and pink!)

    My vitamins sit next to my laptop so I wont forget to take them every morning while I'm having my coffee.

    Everything else is in a plastic container (about like a shoebox) on top of the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ourselves had a "redneck table" in our bedroom until about two weeks ago. I finally put the ironing board away while my husband was gone one day. ;) At any rate, he does keep his eye drops and "eye goo" on his night stand in a jar that our niece made for us for our wedding. He and I are good about remembering our vitamins, mainly because he has medicine he must take every day anyway and has a persistent reminder--pain--if he forgets.

    I am going to work on purse organizing this month as well, and I am going to sort through the different pills (Excedrin, Tylenol, PB tablets) in my purse. (Next summer, I will work on my travel bag. No need to get too organized now, right?)

    ReplyDelete

One goal of mine in starting this blog was to make some new friends with whom to share thoughts, ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. Please post a message. I would love to hear from you! But please be friendly; please don't say anything in the comments that you would not say to me in my own home.